REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO STAY IN BRAZIL
Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório (CRNM)
The National Migratory Registration Card (Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório), also known as CRNM, is the main document of a foreigner that resides in Brazil. It reckons one’s condition of residence and time of residence in Brazil. By the time students arrive in Pelotas, they have to access the website of Polícia Federal in order to apply for the document – http://www.pf.gov.br/.
1 – First, the student must click in Imigração in the side menu, and after in the option Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório.
2 – The next step is to fill the request form for the CRNM by clicking in the option Preenchimento do formulário.
The blanks “Unidade Polícia Federal” and “Ocupação Principal” shall be marked as “RS / DPF/PTS/RS Pelotas” and “930 – Estudante” respectively. The images below show how to fill the form. It’s important to save and print the form after it is filled.
3 – Next, the student have to generate the GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União), which is a fee that must be paid in order to make the document, by filling another form, clicking in the option Para gerar GRU.
4 – After filling it, the student will have to pay fees that are generated by the forms in any bank agency, lottery house or mail agency. These fees have deadlines and they have to be paid before going to Polícia Federal.
5 – Lastly, the form must head to the Delegacia de Polícia Federal (Federal Police Station), which is located on Avenida Duque de Caxias, 1049, Pelotas. The student must take with them the following documents, legalized and traslated into Portuguese by a Sworn Translator from the student’s home country:
- Passport or offcial ID document (original and a simple copy – all pages);
- Two ID sized photos (3cm x 4cm, recent, colored, white background, plain paper, front photo);
- Birth or marriage certificate or consular certificate, when the passport or ID document doesn’t present data about marital status;
- Declaration of electronic address and other means of contact (Declaração de endereço eletrônico e demais meios de contato), preferably with a simple copy of proof of residence;
- The receipts from the resident permit fee and document expedition fee;
- Resident permit fee – R$ 168,13;
- CRNM expedition fee – R$ 204,77;
- The request form (the first form that was filled);
- Document of Criminal Records or an equivalent document issued by the judicial authorithy in the country of residence in the last 5 years;
- Declaration, under penalty of law, of the absence of criminal records in any country in the last 5 years (Declaração de ausência de antecedentes criminais);
- Authorization of the person responsible for the child or adolescent in Brazil (Autorização para regularização migratória de menor de idade), if applicable;
- Documents proving the financial capacity of the applicant or the responsible persons for maintaining the applicant in Brazil during the period he or she intends to stay in the country, or proof that the applicant is contemplated with a scholarship, when applicable;
- Documents proving the enrollment in the intended program, in case of residence authorization for regular program attendance (with start and end dates of the program);
- Documents proving that the applicant attends a degree program in a foreign university, in case of residence authorization for internship or for study or research exchange;
- Term of commitment between the trainee, the granting party of the internship and the educational institution where the student is enrolled, attesting the compatibility between his or her area of knowledge and the activities developed in the internship, in case of residence authorization for internship.
Models of the declarations and authorizations listed above can be found on http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigracao/cedula-de-identidade-de-estrangeiro/formularios-e-modelos.
Cadastro de Pessoa Físicas (CPF)
The Brazilian Taxpayer Registry (Cadastro de Pessoa Física), known as CPF, is a database administrated by the Federal Revenue, that stores information of its registered population. It is a document for Brazilians and foreigners that live in Brazil. Without CPF, one cannot open a bank account, rent internet or cable TV services, be up to date with taxes, purchase in determined stores, among other things.
Depending on the country, foreign students can apply for CPF outside Brazilian territory by consulting the Brazilian Diplomatic Representations (consulades and embassies). Inside Brazilian territory, it is possible to apply for CPF in Agência dos Correios (Mail Agency) located at Rua Tiradentes, 2515, Pelotas. As a third option, international students can apply for CPF online, through the website of Receita Federal (Federal Revenue): http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/orientacao/tributaria/cadastros/cadastro-de-pessoas-fisicas-cpf/atos-cadastrais/inscricao-no-cpf.
The proof of registration in CPF can be fulfilled by presenting the “CPF Registration Receipt” and an identification document to Agência da Receita Federal (Federal Revenue Agency), located at Rua Professor Araújo, 216, Pelotas. Possible identification documents are: official Identy Document of the student’s home country, CRNM (Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório), Passport or CRNM Protocol (followed by the SINCRE consulting screen printed) – https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/pesquisaAndamentoProcesso.jsp).
COST OF LIVING IN PELOTAS
For foreign students who do not have any kind of assistance, the cost of living in Pelotas is between R$ 775,00 the lowest and R$ 2.235,00 the highest, considering housing (boarding houses), food (university restaurant every day of the week), transport (Capão do Leão Campus) and leisure. Disregarding the transportation to Campus Capão do Leão and using the free UFPel shuttle service, the cheapest cost of living is around R$ 655,00 and the most expensive is around R$ 2.115,00. The student should also consider some other extra expenses, such as materials for their classes.
To check out a more detailed cost of living, access Numbeo website: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Pelotas-Brazil
FROM PORTO ALEGRE TO PELOTAS
It is possible to travel from Porto Alegre to Pelotas by plane or by bus. If the student chooses to travel by bus, they should head to Porto Alegre Bus Station (by taxi, train or bus) after arriving in the airport of the city. In order to buy the bus ticket, there are three options: the student can buy the ticket in the bus station, at the Veppo Store located in the airport or through the website of Veppo, in this link: https://www.veppocel.com.br/internet/frame/df_venda.htm, after signing up. The price of a ticket is between R$61,20 and R$96,75. For more information, access http://www.rodoviaria-poa.com.br/inicio.php. It is important to pay attention to the time of departure of the bus, because there might be traffic jams in peak times in the way from the airport to the bus station.
If the student chooses to travel by plane, the airport in Pelotas operates scheduled flights with the company Azul Linhas Aéreas, connecting Pelotas to Porto Alegre with two daily flights.
If the student arrives in Porto Alegre at the end of the week, we recommend that you exchange your money at the exchange offices of the airport, as there is a possibility that the exchange offices in Pelotas are closed. Suggestions: Alternative Tourism and Exchange, located on the 2nd floor of the passenger terminal 2; Casa Brasil Cambio, located on the 1st floor of the passenger terminal 1.
The journey, in Pelotas, from the bus station or the airport to the accommodation is a responsibility of the student. UFPel does not provide a student reception service.