The Graduate Program in Biochemistry and Bioprospecting (PPGBBio), in line with the Institutional Development Project (PDI) of UFPel, aims to train qualified human resources for research and teaching, as well as for technological development and innovation.
· Qualify students to prepare and execute projects, guide undergraduate students, in addition to producing and disseminating knowledge within the program area, allowing the granting of a Master’s and/or Doctor of Science degree with a concentration area in Biochemistry and Bioprospecting.
· Qualify the graduates of the Master’s Course at PPGBBio, making them able to enter doctoral courses, as well as to act in teaching and research in the area of knowledge.
· To train qualified doctors for insertion in Teaching, Research and Extension Institutions and in Research Centers in Brazil and abroad.
· Produce and disseminate knowledge in the area of Biochemistry and Bioprospecting in the form of scientific articles, books, book chapters and/or patents.
· Transmitting the knowledge acquired through research and/or innovation to the community through extension projects, development of scientific-pedagogical materials and attention to basic education.
· Provide a suitable environment for the activities of undergraduate and graduate students from different areas, through their inclusion in the PPGBBio research groups as a way to increase their academic training in an interdisciplinary way.
· Meet the goals proposed by UFPel’s PDI regarding the training of qualified human resources and improvement of the existing infrastructure for teaching and research activities.
The Postgraduate Program in Biochemistry and Bioprospecting (PPGBBio) has as its mission the qualified academic training of masters and doctors with an integrated and multidisciplinary vision.
Within the mission and objectives of PPGBBio, the aim is to train professionals able to produce and disseminate knowledge, carry out research of scientific and/or technological interest, prepare and execute projects, in addition to training for the management of teamwork and stimulating the entrepreneurship. The program allows for training undergraduate and graduate students from UFPel courses, as well as from other educational institutions, with training focused on research, technological development and innovation in the area of Biological Sciences II.
Specifically, the graduate of Line 1 – Bioassays, will obtain the knowledge to carry out biochemical tests involving the biological action of products of synthetic and/or natural origin. The graduate of Line 2 – Toxicology, will have knowledge in toxicology in the sense of evaluating natural and/or synthetic substances in their technological aspect and determining the environmental impact of substances. The graduate of Line 3 – Bioactive Substances, will have the knowledge of planning and obtaining chemical substances with potential biochemical, biological and pharmacological action, through the development of products for application in the health, food or pharmaceutical sector. Thus, it can be highlighted that:
– The Master graduated from the different lines of PPGBBio will be able to enter doctoral courses, as well as to act in teaching, research, extension and technological innovation in the area of knowledge. In addition, the master will be able to contribute by meeting the demands of society and the scientific community.
– The Doctor who graduated from the different lines of PPGBBio will be able to act in the coordination of teaching, research, technological innovation and extension activities in Brazil and abroad, as well as producing and disseminating knowledge in the area of biochemistry and bioprospecting. Furthermore, graduates may work in industry and/or teaching and research institutions, transmitting the knowledge acquired to society and the scientific community in general.