The ViTech research activities are summarized in this concept map, which includes the following main topics related to visual signal coding for different technologies.
- Video coding standards (AV1, VP9, VP8, VVC, HEVC, H.264/AVC, etc);
- Multiview, 3D and 360 video compression;
- Point cloud compression;
- Light field compression.
Solutions at application-level:
- Complexity reduction/control: Optimization of visual signal coding algorithms, development of novel low-complexity solutions, use of artificial intelligence techniques to reduce encoding costs;
- Coding tools development: development of new coding tools and algorithms for prediction, transforms and entropy coding of visual signal coding systems;
- Coding Efficiency and Complexity Assessment: Evaluation on the efficiency of visual signal coding systems;
- Video quality assessment: Subjective and objective quality evaluation for 2D and 3D videos.
Solutions at system-level:
- Parallel Solutions: Parallelism exploration using GPUs and multi/many-core systems;
- Memory solutions: Approximate storage and memory hierarchy design;
- Hardware accelerators: Dedicated FPGA and ASIC hardware design for video coding using power-efficient techniques;
- Architectural solutions for embedded systems: High-level simulation and NoC-based solutions.