The Video Technology Group (ViTech) was created in 2014 and it is allocated at the Computer Science area of the Federal University of Pelotas (UFPel) Technological Development Center (CDTec). ViTech came from a deployment of the Group of Architectures and Integrated Circuits (GACI), due to the growth of the researchers in the video technologies area at UFPel. But all ViTech researchers are still working within GACI group.
Today the group has five doctorate researchers and many doctorate, master and undergraduate students. Besides, there are several active collaborations activities with researchers from other institutions as UFRGS, PUCRS, IFSul, UFSC, University of Libon, University of Coimbra, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
ViTech is one of the largest Brazilian research groups in the field of video technologies, generating relevant scientific contributions, as well as being prominent in the formation of new researchers in this area.
The ViTech research activities involve the following main topics:
- New algorithms for images and videos coding.
- Dedicated FPGA and standard cells hardware design for image and video codecs.
- Optimization of coding algorithms for videos and digital images.
- Parallelism exploration in GPUs and multicore.
- Video Coding in embedded systems.
- Distribution of processing load in multicore environments.
- Use of datamining and machine learning to increase the video codecs efficiency.
- Approximate arithmetic applied to video coding.
- Complexity and power control in video codecs.
- Transcoding between video coding standards.
- Energy consumption reduction in video encoders.
- Thermal distribution control in video encoders.
- HEVC, 3D-HEVC, MVC, JVET, Full JPEG, VP-10, H.264 and VP-9 standards.
Due to the qualified scientific production developed, the ViTech members have succeeded in publishing at relevant events and journal. In addition, several best paper awards were won by the ViTech team in the last years.
All these positive results have enabled the collection of funds from Brazilian development agencies, enabling the implementation of planned projects. The researchers of the group conquer founds from agencies like FAPERGS, CNPq, CAPES, FINEP and RNP.