REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO STAY IN BRAZIL
The information about the STUDENT visa grant should be requested in the Brazilian Consulates located in your country.
For further information, click here or visit the Ministry of International Relations’ website: http://www.portalconsular.itamaraty.gov.br/vistos
Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório (CRNM)
The National Migratory Registration Card (Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório), also known as CRNM, is the main document of a foreigner that resides in Brazil, it reckons one’s condition of residence and time of residence in Brazil. Arriving in Pelotas, the student must access the Polícia Federal website to apply for the document – http://www.pf.gov.br/.
1 – First, the student must click in Imigração in the lateral menu, and after in the button Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório.
2 – The next step is to fill the request form for the CRNM by clicking in the option Preenchimento do formulário.
The blanks “Unidade Polícia Federal” and “Ocupação Principal” shall be marked as “RS / DPF/PTS/RS Pelotas” and “930 – Estudante” respectively. The images below show how to fill the form. It’s important to save and print the form after it is filled.
3 – Next, the student must generate the GRU by filling another form as he clicks the option Para gerar GRU.
4 – After completing the application, the student will have to pay the fees that are generated by the forms in any bank agency, lottery house or mail agency. These fees have a deadline and they should be payed before going to Polícia Federal.
5 – Lastly, the applicant must head to the Delegacia de Polícia Federal (Federal Police Station), which is located on 1049 Duque de Caxias Avenue, Pelotas. The student must take with them the following documents legallized and traslated to Portuguese by a Sworn Translator from the student’s home country:
- Passport or offcial ID document (original and a simple copy – all pages);
- Two ID sized photos (3cm x 4cm, recent, colored, white background, plain paper, front photo);
- Birth or marriage certificate or consular certificate, when the passport or ID document doesn’t present data about marrital status;
- Declaration of electronic address and other means of contact (Declaração de endereço eletrônico e demais meios de contato), preferably accompanied by a simple copy of proof of residence;
- The receipts from the resident permit fee and document expedition fee;
- Resident permit fee – R$ 168,13;
- CRNM expedition fee – R$ 204,77;
- The request form (the first form that was filled);
- Document of Criminal Records or an equivalent document issued by the judicial authorithy in the country of residence in the last 5 years;
- Declaration, under penalty of law, of the absence of criminal records in any country in the last 5 years (Declaração de ausência de antecedentes criminais);
- Authorization of the person responsible for the child or adolescent in Brazil (Autorização para regularização migratória de menor de idade), if applicable;
- Documents proving the financial capacity of the applicant or the responsible persons for maintaining the applicant in Brazil during the period he / she intends to stay in the country, or proof that the applicant is contemplated with a scholarship, when applicable;
- Documents proving the enrollment in the intended program, in case of residence authorization for regular program attendance (with start and end dates of the program);
- Documents proving that the applicant attends a degree program in a foreign university, in case of residence authorization for internship or for study or research exchange;
- Term of commitment between the trainee, the granting party of the internship and the educational institution where the immigrant is enrolled, attesting the compatibility between his / her area of knowledge and the activities developed in the internship, in case of residence authorization for internship;
- Declaration that he / she is not linked to research and / or teaching and / or academic extension (Declaração de não vinculação a pesquisa e/ou ensino e/ou extensão acadêmica);
- Declaration of economic hypersufficiency (Declaração de Hipossuficiência Econômica), when applicable.
The models of the declarations and authorization listed above can be found on http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigracao/cedula-de-identidade-de-estrangeiro/formularios-e-modelos.
Cadastro de Pessoa Físicas (CPF)
The Brazilian Taxpayer Registry (Cadastro de Pessoa Física), known as CPF, is a database administrated by the Federal Revenue, that stores information of its registered people. It is a document for Brazilians and foreigners that live in Brazil. Without CPF, one cannot open a bank account, get access to internt or cable TV, be up to date with taxes, purchase in determined stores, among other things.
Depending on the country, foreign students can apply for CPF outside Brazilian territory by consulting the Brazilian Diplomatic Representations (consulades and embassies). Inside Brazilian territory, it is possible to apply for CPF in Agência dos Correios (Mail Agency) located on 2515 Tiradentes Street, Pelotas. As a third option, international students can apply for CPF online, through the website of Receita Federal (Federal Revenue): http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/orientacao/tributaria/cadastros/cadastro-de-pessoas-fisicas-cpf/atos-cadastrais/inscricao-no-cpf.
The proof of registration in CPF can be fulfilled by presenting the “CPF Registration Receipt” and an identification document to Agência da Receita Federal (Federal Revenue Agency), located on 216 Professor Araújo Street, Pelotas. Possible identification documents are: official Identy Document of the student’s home country, CRNM (Carteira de Registro Nacional Migratório), Passport or CRNM Protocol (followed by the SINCRE consulting screen printed – https://servicos.dpf.gov.br/sincreWeb/pesquisaAndamentoProcesso.jsp).
COST OF LIVING IN PELOTAS
For foreign students who do not have any kind of assistance, the cost of living in Pelotas is between R$ 775,00 the lowest and R$ 2.235,00 the highest, considering housing (boarding houses), food (university restaurant every day of the week), transport (Capão do Leão Campus) and leisure. Disregarding the transportation to Campus Capão do Leão and using the free UFPel shuttle service, the cheapest cost of living is around R$ 655,00 and the most expensive is around R$ 2.115,00. The student should also consider some other extra expenses, such as didactic material.
To check out a more detailed cost of living, access Numbeo website: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Pelotas-Brazil
FROM PORTO ALEGRE TO PELOTAS
It is possible to travel from Porto Alegre to Pelotas by plane or by bus. If the student chooses the bus, they should head to Porto Alegre Bus Station (by taxi, subway or bus) after arriving in the city’s airport to take the bus. In order to buy the bus ticket, there are two options: the student can buy the ticket in the bus station or in the Veppo Store located in the airport. The price of a ticket is between R$61,20 and R$96,75. For more information, access http://www.rodoviaria-poa.com.br/inicio.php. It is important to pay attention to the time of departure of the bus, because there might be traffic jams in peak times in the way from the airport to the bus station.
If the student chooses the plane, the city of Pelotas owns the João Simões Lopes Neto International Airport. The airport operates scheduled flights with the company Azul Linhas Aéreas connecting Pelotas to the Capital, Porto Alegre, with two daily flights.
If the student arrives in Porto Alegre at the end of the week, we recommend that you exchange your money at the exchange offices of the airport, as there is a possibility that the exchange offices in Pelotas are closed. Suggestions: Alternative Tourism and Exchange, located on the 2nd floor of the passenger terminal 2; Casa Brasil Cambio, located on the 1st floor of the passenger terminal 1.
The journey, in Pelotas, from the bus station or the airport to the accommodation is a responsibility of the student. UFPel does not provide a student reception service.